Wednesday, September 17, 2008

News You Never Want to Hear

Saying that things around our house have been pretty tough lately is an understatement. Jonny's oldest brother Jason who is 33 had been having some pretty scary problems with his eyes starting about six months ago. Though he went to a number of doctors and had a number of tests run, the doctors found nothing to be concerned about. The family continued to worry though because his symptoms continued to get more and more frequent. So last week Jason went to the hospital for a follow up appointment for another MRI. Unfortunately this MRI proved that Jason's anxieties were not un- founded because it found a cancerous brain tumor. He had surgery to remove the tumor on Thursday which went really well. Unfortunately the doctors also discovered that the tumor was a Primary tumor, meaning it originated in the brain which makes this type of cancer so much more serious. The doctor who has been working with Jason told him that this type of cancer gives its patients 1-4 years to live. Though those of you who know the amazing people the Fishers are know that they are going to fight hard, and pray even harder.
I
can't describe the devastation this family has felt the last week, but along with that has come at times a great calmness to Jason, his wife Heather, and many members of the family who have been touched by the spirit as they have prayed and been part in giving priesthood blessings to Jason. Anyone who knows Jonny and his two brothers knows that there was never three brothers who were more different, yet so alike. They laugh at the same dumb jokes, they are obsessed with Michigan football, and when Jonny hangs out with them for too long he talks just like them! I guess as the younger brother he still wants to be just like them :)

I don't anticipate updating the ups and downs that will no doubt be ever present during this process. I will let Jason and Heather share what they feel they want to share through this difficult time. Jonny did set up a blog for Jason and Heather to keep family and friends informed but I'm not sure they have begun to use it yet. I will add them on my blog as a link and when (if) they begin using it.

5 comments:

Jessica Adams said...

Understatement in deed! Hang in their guys! (also and understatement)! Good to see you yesterday and baby brooklyn! It was fun to chat!

Genessa said...

I am so sorry to hear the news about your family, you guys have been through so much. Just wanted to let you know that i am thinking about you guys.
Genessa

Just Us said...

Melis-
I am so sorry to hear about Johnny's brother, I will keep your family in my prayers! I will be up next weekend, maybe if I have time we could get together.
Liz

A said...

We missed getting to see you guys. Tell Jonny we love him to death (ESPECIALLY ME) :) and we will look forward to seeing you in our home in October. (please tell me her appt is not the first weekend as we will be in Poky)

Jessica Adams said...

Send me your email address and I will send you the electronic copy...I think they just sent them out.