Wednesday, June 3, 2009

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!!

BROOKLYN'S GONNA BE A BIG SISTER!
I guess it has been official for a while, but we just found out we are going to be having another little GIRL runnin' around the house come October! We are so excited, but also apprehensive. Though this pregnancy has been a lot like Brooklyn's, in many ways I hope it's not! I keep waiting for something to go wrong but so far so good. The ultrasound found that our little girl appears to be healthy and yes, we had them double/triple check to make sure the spine was closed!

We also feel so blessed that I have even made it this far in the pregnancy since we have lost two pregnancies this past year. I believe I have officially been pregnant for a year (don't act like you can't tell!) Here is a brief summary of our struggles this past year..........

I got pregnant early last summer and felt that I had won the lottery. I wasn't nearly as sick as I was with B and was going to have the baby in the spring which I thought was just perfect. I kept thinking how easy all this was finally going to be. There wasn't a day that I didn't give thanks or feel that this picture perfect pregnancy was the Lord's way of giving me a break, that I thought I deserved. Well at 12 weeks I realized that this pregnancy was not going to be. I passed out a few times at home with a frantic husband and mom who called 911 and I was taken to the hospital to stop my hemorrhaging. The recovery of the miscarriage proved to be much worse than labor. I couldn't lift Brooklyn for almost two weeks because of the loss of blood and I had and chronic headaches. Thanks to my wonderful sister, mom, and husband, I was able to lay on the couch for days (weeks?) recovering. My sister no longer fears another labor, it is a miscarriage she fears!!

Six weeks later I found out I was pregnant again. YAY! I didn't think life could be so cruel and take this one away, but it still nagged at the back of my mind. So I never told a soul, and suffered in first-trimester silence while being sick, tired and putting on ANOTHER 5 lbs. At exactly 12 weeks my worst fears came to light once again. Only this time I didn't have to pay the $2000 dollar hospital bill and was quite relieved for a "normal" miscarriage (oh, the things we become grateful for). Though physically I recovered from this pregnancy quicker, lets just say I didn't get dressed for about a month. This may be where ANOTHER 5 lbs came from but its hard to tell since sweats are so forgiving!

Six weeks later...... I become pregnant again. Only this time I cried. I wanted to scream "how fertile am I ??"I didn't think it would happen so soon and had planned on waiting until I could function like a normal person again, not to mention I had no faith that his pregnancy would work out. This time the doctor put me on progesterone to lower the risk of another miscarriage. It is this stuff that I attribute to making me want to die every day until I was 16 weeks. I have never been sicker or more tired. Not to mention by this point I was so TIRED of being tired and so SICK of being sick from my other pregnancies, but this was much worse, so I took it as a good sign. Every day I couldn't get off the couch, I smiled to myself and thought "well I'm still pregnant!" Now I was grateful for being sick?!?


So here we are FINALLY! From day one Brooklyn told us this was a girl (we thought it was a boy), and she has since named her. I'm pretty sure she just thinks this one will "go- away" as the others have, but now that I'm getting a little belly, I think she understands a little more. Jonny is up for husband of the year award and is thrilled to not be Mr. Mom anymore. He has been amazing these past months, coming home from work every day and cleaning the house, cooking dinner, and learning to do pig-tails on Brooklyn sometimes better than I can. I couldn't do it without him and it's strange how trials bring you closer than before.

Wish us luck in the next few months!

28 comments:

Amber Hooten said...

Congratulation Melissa! I am sorry to hear about the experiences you have been through this last year. I know they are to make us stronger yet they are difficult at the time. I hope that this pregnancy goes well. Sounds like you married an awesome husband! I was really sick a few ago and realized how much my husband does take care of me when i need it!

Amber Hooten said...

Sorry..my last sentence doesn't make sense...a few *weeks* ago.

House for Sale said...

I am so so sorry to hear about your struggles. Your faith through it all is so amazing. Another girl!! That is great. Congratulations I am sure that Brooklyn will the best big sister ever!!

Condie 4ever said...

Whoo!!! Hoo!!! I am so happy for you guys. I can't wait to see Brooklyn with a new baby. She is going to be the best sister. You have a wonderful family. You all will be in our prayers.

Jessica Adams said...

A girl! Yah! Im way excited for you guys!

Jenn said...

Congrats! We are so excited for you!! It is so much fun to watch your kids interact with each other. Brooklyn will just love your new little one!

Anonymous said...

congrats Melissa! It is hard to lose a baby(s). It will be so nice to have another little girl though. I am very happy for your family!!!

Harris said...

I would say that you have been dealt your share of trials. You must be one pretty amazing person to have been dealt them and able to overcome them. Miscarriages are one of the hardest things to grasp emotionally. Good luck and I'm glad you are feeling better. Congrats!!

the longmores said...

Congrats!! 2 little girls will be sooo fun! Melissa you have dealt so well with your trails you are an amazing person!

Martin Family said...

Congrats! I think you must be super woman! I have checked out your blog a few times from Erin Larsen's. Brooklyn is beautiful and such a little blessing. Best of luck with this pregnancy!
Kara (Ward) Martin

Whitney said...

Melissa! and Johnny!YOur post made me cry! Congratulations! I just read your blog and the special news. THat is so sweet of you to share so much insight and glimpses into your trials. It is healing to write it out. THank you for being so honest. I will be praying for you. Babies PRegnancies and Birth are very passionate subjects to me. I believe in you! Johnny had said anything hometeaching us. I am just sorry for your other experiences. Hang in there! x-tra B complex!xxx Pantons

Jordan, Lisa and Hallie said...

Congratulations Melissa! I was excited to hear your news and hope this pregnancy keeps going well.

Jen Merrill said...

Yay! What a heroing experience for you melissa. you must be amazingly strong seeing as how our Heavenly Father doesn't give us trials we cannot handle. if there is anything i can EVER do (make dinner, babysit, grocery shop), i would be so happy to do it! congratulations on another girl!- theyre the best!

A said...

I don't wanna hear about your 'little belly' ! JK, I'm so glad the ultra sound looked good, but I kinda wanted it to be a boy, just cuz you were so sure it was a girl and I wanted you to be wrong! But yay for a baby sister!!

Jared and Erin said...

Melissa - congratulations! I can't believe you kept this so quiet. And you still did your visiting teaching so great! I should have been helping you instead. But I do miss you as my visiting teacher!

Maggie May said...

Thank you for sharing these experiences. I'm a mom of two who just had a 12 week miscarriage and the pain of loss is horrible. We want so badly for another baby and it is very encouraging to read of women getting pregnant again. I wonder if I might need progesterone.

The Suttons said...

Congratulations!! That is so awesome for you guys. I wish you wouldn't have had to go through all the other stuff before now. It makes you wonder what the Lord has in mind? Troy and I think you guys are amazing and deserve the best!!!

Zoey said...

What has Brooklyn named her???

Nelson said...

Congrats, Melissa and Jonny! How exciting for you to be having another girl! Sorry to hear about what you have went thru this past year.You are an amazing person.i had no idea.Let me know if i can do anything. I am home all the time. I can clean toliets!hahahahah...... :)

IT"S GREAT TO BE ETHAN said...

Congrats Melissa! I just found your blog through Oaxie and Bin Wells blog..I am friends with Tracy Wells. We have a son that has spina bifida and he is 3 1/2 years old..his name is Ethan. He is doing GREAT! Please check out our blog at mylifeethan.blogspot.com. I have alot of family that live in Utah...Orem, SLC, Provo and Herber City. Anyway, best of luck! Brooklyn is SOOOOOO CUTE!
Marissa

Just Us said...

Congrats to you guys!!! (and to Brooklyn on her new bike riding adventures!!) It was great to see you and I am glad to hear that all is well and everyone is healthy!!

A said...

Hey, thanx for trying to make me look 'cool' by leaving me 2 comments!! I'll fill you in sometime on what its like to be so popular . . . Oh yeah, and why would I need to spill the beans when I have people like you doing it for me!!? Anyway, at this point I kinda figure it will be cool to do a post one day and suddenly have a 3rd kid. When's Hawaii?

Spilletts said...

Congrats Melissa!! Your blog made me soo teary. I am so excited for you guys. Two little girls how fun! Take care! love, Cori

A said...

Let's hear it for double postings! Regarding Nienie, that chick always leaves me teary. Doesn't she write like she's 50? I've got Danny hooked now too. Can you believe her husband saved her? She always makes him sound so wonderful- I think I'm in love with him! The rest of us definitely couldn't get away with such raving mushiness. I never have heard why her plane crashed? Do you you know?

the longmores said...

Hey I lost your e-mail and I want to add you as an author on a recipe blog my friend Jenn and I started. E-mail me if you get a chance.Thanks!

Jessica Adams said...

I am freakin jealous that you are in Hawaii! You and Ange suck for the record! Let's barbecue for sure when you guys get back!

Brett and Diana Cooper said...

Congrats Melissa! We are so excited for you and Jonny and for Brooklynn too. I'm sure she will love being a big sister. I can't wait to see your sweet little baby girl. She is very lucky to be born into an awesome family like yours.

A said...

You know what comes next, right? I want a belly picture of each week!