Monday, August 18, 2008

Hip Hip--Hippo Therapy!

It's a dumb name I know but Hippo therapy is a real thing and we have finally got our scaredy cat of a daughter to try it. You can Google Hippo therapy and find out tons on it, but I'll give you the shortened version of our new found hobby/therapy. Hippo therapy is basically riding a horse. "They" claim that horses walk very similar to humans, so if you put a child on a horse (there are all sorts of ways you have to do it), but if the child has mobility or strength issues, riding the horse will do wonders for them and actually give them the feeling that they are walking and strengthen all sorts of muscles. They also use this therapy for children with emotional or mental problems and it is supposed to calm them and help them in numerous other ways mentally and socially. Pretty cool right?

I'm kinda mad at myself though because all winter long I waited for it to be nice so we could start this therapy but stupid me forgot all about it earlier this summer because of all the other crazy stuff going on in our lives, and also Brooklyn is afraid of her goldfish (I'm serious), so what chance did we have of getting her on a horse? Well after weeks of trying, this past week she finally rode my parents good ol' horse Flicka (aka Ficka), several times in fact. She even got so relaxed that she sang and laughed while we rode. Now I hope the weather stays nice enough a little longer for us to keep up our daily horse rides and that I hope we will see these miracle benefits that should come from this therapy. Here are a couple pictures of our horsey rides.

If it wasn't for my mom's friend Gwen who goes dilegently every morning with her 18 year old son who is autistic, I wouldn't go either! Gwen chases down Flicka, gets her all harnessed, and then makes about 15 laps around the pasture by the time she takes her son and Me and Brooklyn. This is rare smile from Brooklyn while riding the horse!

Since we always go horse riding first thing in the morning, this was the first time Jonny got to experience the "joy" it is to ride around the pasture with our calm daughter!
For Family Home Evening we all decided to roast hot dogs and smores and ride the horses. I grew up with these horses and can probably count the times I have ridden them. I'm glad this therapy has benefited everyone being able to get together, and we actually remember that we have horses now!

Brooklyn puttin' on a brave face, but really wanting to scream her head off. She's pretty good if you make is seem like she's not on a horse at all. Having her sandwiched between four cousins really helps! I just love the fat little tummy poking out of her shirt. She had eaten about four smores by this point.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Melissa your blog is adorable and Brooklyn is just the cutest little angel! I wish I could've visited with you a little more at Wilson's wedding. It was SOOO good to see you and your precious family. You look so good and so happy. I seriously got a little teary eyed looking at your blog. I have such fond memories of us, and I have always been so appreciative and thankful for your friendship!! I just love ya like crazy!!! Tell Jonny hi for me and give Brooklyn a big hug and kiss!!

A said...

Hey there, our phone call didn't exactly work out. There's always next week, right? Call me if you have down time again and I'll do the same. I would definitly love a visit from the fishers to the frasure casa (once its completed of course) heck, I'd love to be able to stay in it myself. When we talk I'll tell you our timeline and all our crazy dates. I'm moving back a little early so you'll have to play with me. P.S. Love the horsey therapy. so cute and incredibly interesting. Why come did you guys always forget you had horses?

Melissa Fisher said...

Because we never rode them! We heard about them but my dear old dad rarely took us!

Anonymous said...

This is so neat. I love the last picture with all the kids!

Jared and Lisa said...

How can you look at those pictures and not smile. Seriously she is so precious!!

Snell Familia said...

Melissa,
I am so excited that you are doing the hippo therapy for Brooklyn. I have heard a lot about it, and I actually learned about it in college. I have heard it works miracles. Hopefully Brooklyn's miracles will continue! Good Luck! Your blog pictures are adorable. I hear all about you guys from Ang and Danny! You are a great mom! :)
Love,
Lindsay Snell