Saturday, December 12, 2009

Joy In the Journey???


Hmmm....I think that is a conference talk I'm going to have to re-read. These past weeks have been especially difficult around our home with a cute little, fuzzy headed baby who NEVER.....STOPS.....CRYING!!! And in turn I never stop crying either! Am I the only one whose husband came home to his crazy wife sobbing in her room while in the other room, with the door shut, his newborn was shrieking at the top of her lungs? Am I the only one who had a nervous and embarrassing breakdown in Costco with two crying kids? Anyone? Anyone?


I thought Brooklyn was a tough baby but she had nothin' on Leah! Brooklyn would cry every night for only a few hours, where Leah wakes up, eats, gives a smile or two, then begins her hours of screaming, falls into an exhausted sleep, then begins it all over again three hours later. So here are the tricks we've come up with to at least lessen her crying(and mine!):

This is the position she spends most of the day. Bundled up tight as can be.




Everyone in my family is afraid to hold her. She is officially the least favorite grand baby right now. The cutest and hairiest, but still the least favorite.I wish I could just take her in my arms and rock her gently to sleep, or to have her fall asleep on my chest. Instead it's a race to wrap her up like a burrito and either take her for a car ride, bounce her up and down, or put her in her swing on the highest setting that swings her about 90 miles per hour.




This book has saved more than one life around our house. Though this book doesn't solve all our problems, it has been amazing in teaching me WHY Leah cries so much and has lessened her fits from around 5 hours to sometimes only 3! I recommend anyone with a fussy/colicky baby to get this book.




On a brighter note, according to this book (aka my new bible) She should grow out of this in about six more weeks! And did I mention that if I ever decide to have more children I am going to officially adopt an eight year old?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry! But I have to admit she is still pretty cute--that has to help her out a lot!

Jessica Adams said...

You make me laugh! I feel for you! I am also the mother whose husband comes home to her crying! :) Kids are SO hard at every stage! I was just saying this to Spence the other day! :) So hard and so worth it, but I seem to only remember how sweet they are when they are sleeping!

courtney and andrew said...

I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. That is the worst having a crying baby and nothing you can do about it! Hang in there!

Jared and Erin said...

You're doing great Melissa!! Everyone melts down sometimes, Jared says sometimes would be an understatement! He's a bum, he just walked out of the room and said, "like 3 times more than a normal person" - referring to me! She is adorable.

Erin L said...

:( poor baby (and mommy). No you are not the only one who has embarrassing crying moments. Mine just happen to come on during church. And I don't even have a baby! When Ana was just a few weeks old she kept waking up and crying and one night Dave said he would get up with her and I yelled (literally) at him, "I am the mom, I'll take care of her" and then sobbed while I walked around with her.

Just Us said...

I will come and hold her...crying and all!! I hope your six weeks comes soon!! You can do it...I've seen how great a mom you are!!

eMily eLiZaBeTh said...

ok so i know i dont "know you know you" -but i saw your blog and this poast, and i had to comment!
When i had my litle girl i was a mess...sereously i cried at the drop of a pin. i was wacko!! i have the funniest/sad stories about crazy emily after childbirth for months! im glad you poasted this, its honest and women need to hear the truth because its not "perfect" like most blogs make it out to be...ok im done. good luck girl.

Karianne said...

Hi Melissa, remember me? Erin told me about this post and I thought I'd comment. My baby is four months now and is finally starting to calm down, but she has been colicky. I have a couple of suggestions. First, invest in a good baby wrap, like Moby or Wrapsody, and learn how to use it. Wearing your baby can be comforting to both you and the baby, it reduces cying time, and makes it possible for you to do other things while holding baby. Wrap-style baby carriers are the most comfortable for you and the baby at this stage. The Idaho Babwearers even have some you can borrow to try out. Definately worth it. Let me know if you want more info about it. My second suggestion is to try giving baby probiotics. They are the "healthy bacteria" found in yogert, but can be bought in a liquid or powder from healthfood stores. Many babies don't have enough healthy bacteria in their digestive tract, making it harder for them to digest the protiens in their food. This causes reflux and gas, AKA colic. It takes a couple of weeks, but you'll slowly start noticing a difference. At least I did. If you are nursing, you might try cutting out chocolate and dairy and see if that helps too. Another suggestion is to try Colic-Ease brand Gripe Water. Sorry this is so long. I hope you find something that helps. I feel for you. My baby did the same thing the first three months and still has bad days. Hang in there and cry all you want. Good luck!

Denelle said...

Oh, Melissa, I've been there. Tyler was horrible. The nottiest little colicky baby ever. I completely understand your troubles and am so sorry. I cried for months along with him. I made Rob stay home from so many church meetings after I had him. He had no choice, I would start breaking down if I saw that he was going to leave me all alone with that wonderful psychotic baby. Hang in there. Now he's a blast.

A said...

Our texts made me giggle too, and so do all these comments. Does it help to know that you are not alone? I may be throwing Emmett under the bus a little early, but after this week I told Danny he has turned from Angel Baby to Child of the Korn in just a matter of days. I'll keep ya updated. I hope these people's tips have helped with little Leah tho.

You had to know the long ugly locks were coming off soon, right? Besides I don't know about you, but I am already starting to molt from the pregnancy and I think I may be bald soon anyway.


I would LOOOOOOOOVe it if you would come play sometime. And I don't know if you know this, but I will be arriving in Poky Monday (tomorrow) so lets hang, yeah?