Saturday, May 31, 2008

Back to Salt Lake We Go.....

and we are not actually all that happy about it. I apologize now that once again all I can report on is Brooklyn and our latest adventures, but truth be told I have nothing else to talk about and this means I only have to repeat what is happening with her only 50 times rather than 100. I also know that my family members who read this who don't live close appreciate the update.

Anyway, if you'll remember the last post excitedly explaining how things were falling easily into place and Brooklyn was going to a local Orthopedic Surgeon who said "these things happen all the time and it will be no problem to fix." Well it turns out they don't happen all the time, and apparently it is not that easy to fix! Unfortunately we found this out 4 hours into our doctor visit. The short version is that we went to a doctors office in Blackfoot and saw the Surgeon for about two minutes before he took us across the street and introduced us to a Physical Therapist who was going to make some sort of a brace for Brooklyn. So first we sawed off the other cast that was miraculously still on (but in the entirely wrong position), only to find that her foot was covered in blisters and dark black and purple sores. The other foot had also somehow developed the same sores even though the cast had fallen off the night before. So the P.T. worked for 4 long hours trying to create some sort of a casting/bracing device for Brookyn's foot, telling us along the way that he had never done something like this before! I was thinking, well of course you haven't your a Physical Therapist, this is the surgeons job! He even had to cut holes all around the casts so the sores on Brooklyn's feet wouldn't get any worse. So, we walked out of the office 4 long hours later with a pair of removable casts that although were made with the best of intentions, do not work for even 5 minutes until her foot is sideways again.

On our way home we finally decided that if we wanted it done right we had no choice but to go back to SLC. We finally spoke to the Surgeon there who told us that in order for the casts not to fall off he had to cast her past the knee. Jonny was the one who relayed the message to me thinking nothing of it and thinking it sounded like a great idea. Well I freaked out thinking that we have waited two long years for our little girl to finally gain some sort of independence and now that she is crawling they are going to put these stupid things up to her armpits! Talk about frustrating the already frustrated little girl. So we are heading down to SLC Sunday night and will see the doctor Monday morning. I may have no choice but to have the casts go past her knees but I'm not going down without a fight.

In the meantime Brooklyn is happy as a clam unaware that her Mommy is going to have a nervous breakdown and she actually likes talking about all the Ouchies on her feet and loves the sympathies she recieves from others. She shrieks with joy when we tell her that she is getting another pair of pink "shoes" put on. If only we could have the patience and forgiveness and positive out look as these little ones. I guess innoncence is bliss afterall.

3 comments:

A said...

I'm sitting here reading this and wondering who these morons who act like they've never done this before are. Why are the extra long casts just now coming up, post surgery? Did they purposely put on some lame little disfunctional braces? Are the blisters and sores normal? If so, why didn't they warn you that that might happen. I guess with all these questions I might be better off to just call you . . . then I can make sure you explain things the full 100 times! Also, you're telling me they can catch this "disease" multiple times? Great, I hope my kids just keep passing it back and forth.

Kristen said...

Hey Melissa!! How are you doing? I found your link and thought I would say hello! Hope all is well!!

the longmores said...

Melissa,
I'm sorry you have to go back to SLC.I guess it's probably the best place to be though. There are so many great doctors at Primary Childrens. I thought of you the other day when I was at McDonalds. They had their box out for the Ronald McDonald fund and ever since you stayed there I always put money in the box because it's such an awesome service they give. I also remembered racing that guy back up to the t.v. so we could claim it to watch american idol. Good Times!