Sunday, May 18, 2008

We Survived!

Well we did it! The Marathon was yesterday and it actually was so much fun! We all spent the night in Utah since we had to catch a bus to take us up the Ogden Canyon at 5:00, so we had to wake up at 4:00. This was probably the worst part. I was wondering how they expect anyone to run even one mile under these conditions! I'm still not sure why they make you catch a bus this early because all two thousand of us who were running the half-marathon sat around a couple fires for an hour and a half waiting for it all to start at 7:00. I was wondering what I had gotten myself into and dreading the 13 mile descent. I was pretty sure we had gotten on the wrong bus in the beginning because it just kept driving higher and higher up the canyon and I thought it definitely dropped us off at the 26 mile mark instead of the 13!

Once it finally started it was so much fun! I couldn't believe the excitement. I didn't even turn my music on for a couple of miles because it was so beautiful and there were so many people along the way cheering us on. My sister surprised me and ran with me starting at the 5 mile mark which made it so much more fun and much easier. I felt great the whole run up until the last mile and then my hip hurt so bad my whole leg was hard to move but I was pretty sure if I stopped I wouldn't be able to run again, but somehow I finished. Since I run pretty slow I was met by Jonny, Kody, Brian, and my Mom who drove down with Brooklyn. About two minutes after I crossed the finished line I was hobbling over to the sidelines and heard the crowd going crazy and I thought, well they sure didn't cheer like that for me! But I realized that the first person to run the full Marathon was finishing. Nothing like taking my glory only minutes after I finished!

I do have to admit that we are somehow planning our next half-marathon even though we can barely walk and the thought of actually going down or up stairs brings tears to our eyes, and we have had numerous arguments about who has to pick Brooklyn up! Then again, maybe we should only make this a yearly tradition........

6 comments:

A said...

Glad to see you're alive, even if that's relative.

Cranors said...

Hip, Hip, Hooray!! Or should I say Hip, Hip, Ouch? Congratulations on your first half-marathon. What a great accomplishment.
-S

Jessica Adams said...

Check you out! That is awesome!

Alicia said...

I am glad you made it!!! I was sure worried after I had talked to you and after you didnt call me after like you said!!! What an accomplishment though....HOORAY!! And the answer to your question is YES!!!! of course I would love to see your smiling face in July! CALL ME

Erin L said...

Way to go! Your last post about being an athlete reminded me of being in NY. Now I think I need to run another half.

2nd Time Around said...

Can I borrow some of your determination? Motivation? You've got some to spare right?