Thursday, May 29, 2008

Brooklyn's New Shoes

Before I begin I would just like to say that I had taken the cutest pictures of Brooklyn before and after her surgery that have somehow gotten deleted while I was trying to post them. I am so mad but I guess I will just have to take some pictures the next few days to show her cute little casts.
Well Brooklyn's surgery was yesterday and went much smoother than I had anticipated. We got to Salt Lake early enough that we took Brooklyn to the park to play, then we played in the pool at our Hotel for a while which Brooklyn just loved. Of course the morning of the surgery they had us be there first thing in the morning only to sit in the waiting room for two hours but that's typical I've learned. They gave Brooklyn a sedative about an hour before the surgery so when the doctors came and took her from me she was so happy and relaxed she didn't care who was holding her which never happens! Jonny and I actually left the hospital and grabbed some breakfast and enjoyed eating outside without too much of a worry which was nice. The surgery only lasted about 1 hour and Brooklyn came out wearing the cutest pair of bright pink casts. When she finally woke up I showed her her feet and she looked at them and said "shoes!" Lately she has been getting mad at me when we are out and about and I haven't put shoes on her, so now she has permanent "shoes" for a while.

This morning I was thinking that this whole surgery was so easy (on both Brooklyn and me!), and that I was so grateful and wondered why I work myself up so much worrying all the time. Well not long after I thought this, I looked at Brooklyn's casts and noticed that one of her feet was in the compleltely wrong position because it was falling out of the cast. The whole point of this surgery was to cut her heel cord and put her foot in a normal, flat position, for the next four weeks so when we take the casts off she will be able to stand and begin learning to walk (hopefully). Well when I saw that stupid thing falling off I almost had a heart attack and ended up spending about three hours on the phone hoping to talk to someone other than an answering machine in Salt Lake and at local doctors offices here to try to figure out what to do. Finally my mom remembered that her neighbor of 16 years is an orthopaedic surgeon so she knocked on his door and he said that these casts fall off all the time that he would be happy to see Brooklyn first thing in the morning even though he isn't working. Yay! See, another example of how I stress myself out for no reason!

2 comments:

Jessica Adams said...

I forgot that she was having surgery! :( Little Brooklyn is stronger than all of us! :) I am glad that things went so well! We will have to come by and see her this weekend! Are you guys in town?

A said...

Poor Brooklyn. Is she in pain? But hooray for the orthapedic surgeon. Hey if you didn't lose weight running is it because you failed to eat ice cream every day?